My thoughts on finishing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince for the fifth or sixth(?) time. Reviewing pages 446-652.
- Harry finally realizes that Draco is disappearing into the Room of Requirement. I know he’s kind of dimwitted sometimes but shouldn’t he have thought of the Room of the Requirement earlier considering the fact that he basically lived in it the previous year? I’m sure Hermione would have thought of it if she’d cared enough to think on it.
- The scene where Harry takes the Lucky Potion so he can retrieve Slughorn’s memory always makes me giggle and think of the movie. Daniel Radcliffe did a good job in that scene in the movie.
- We finally see Slughorn’s real memory of his Horcrux conversation with Riddle. I’m not sure why Dumbledore seemed to think they needed this memory? It honestly didn’t tell Dumbledore anything new. He already suspected that Riddle had made Horcruxes and the whole diary and ring thing already told him he’d made more than one…
- The chapter where Harry nearly kills Draco and then starts dating Ginny. It’s kind of a whirlwind chapter and honestly, this is where Rowling sets up Draco for a redemption arc that never really happens and I’m so disappointed. Harry has been obsessed with the kid from the beginning and he pops up pretty dramatically in every book and he ends up being a somewhat important part of book seven but I just wish Rowling had expanded more on it. It would have been perfect and would have kind of paralleled Snape’s arc.
- I reread the Dumbledore and Harry going after Slytherin’s locket with such trepidation. I just find it so sad and heartfelt when Dumbledore goes all “I am not worried, Harry…I am with you.” And I may have cried. (I definitely cried.)
- And then the ending which I read more quickly than the whole rest of the book since it’s just hit after hit. Dumbledore and Draco, Snape killing Dumbledore, Bill’s attack, the funeral. So many emotions.
- The promise that Ron and Hermione will stay with him throughout it all is also kind of emotional given that I know how that will go.